May 20, 2008

Green Smoothie Sisters go where few dare to go....

So far this journey has been one of ease, sunny days, plenty of places to rest along the way and a lot of support. But as with all journeys, I have hit a few speed bumps along the way. It started saturday with a restaurant outing with my mom and husband. I ordered a scrumptious greek salad (sans anchovies) but thought it would be fine to take a bite of my husband's reuben. I am after all THE expert in this particular field of sandwich. Or I WAS before raw food. Well he got full and I wasn't so a bite turned into half a sandwich. It was so good! Half an hour later I was miserable, my belly so bloated I looked pregnant. "I'll never do that again" I scolded myself. WRONG! I made the same mistake the next day! This time as a result of being out and about and needing to grab something to eat at an odd time of the day. My husband wanted to try out this new place near where we were already at "I'm sure they will have a salad bar" he assured me. Well, iceburg lettuce, poorly cut cucumbers and lots of ranch dressing they did have. Satisfying it was not. So in addition to my lame salad I consumed cooked to death collard greens (I won't lie they did taste good I love collards!), sweet potatoes, and 1/2 a biscuit.
I think it was the biscuit that did it. I'm convinced that wheat is the gateway drug of food. Come monday morning I had every intention of putting the weekend behind me and starting over. Easier thought than done. I started my day with a juicy mango and a "seaser" salad. As the day crept on I had this nagging urge to eat carbs. And I caved. One peanut butter sandwich, and later 2 pieces of toast and popcorn! OY VEY! I truly felt unlike myself. I had reactivated an intense life long sugar/wheat addiction all with one seemingly innocent 1/2 of a biscuit.
But each day is a new day, a new opportunity to make healthy choices, to forgive ourselves, to do the right thing. So I am begining a gentle juice cleanse today. I figure after abusing myself for 3 days in a row my body deserves at least a 3-7 day rest. So wish me luck! I will be writing updates about my juice fast including one of our favorite subjects....ENEMAS!!! You truly cannot safely cleanse without the help of those internal baths. Stay tuned. ~Rose

No comments: