May 5, 2008

Raw food and sleep

We have heard stories of raw foodists who comfortably run on 3-5 hours of sleep a night. They talk about how great it is to have extra time for creative endeavors. We think that sounds pretty swell. But we're also very much in love with our beds.
Last night I experienced what I can only explain as the effects of eating a raw food diet. I went to bed around midnight feeling tired and comfortable. We had been talking all night about exciting things and I found my brain would not shut off! It wanted to create raw food and write and talk and do do do.......and I lay there trying to meditate and shut my mind down a bit.
I eventually fell asleep and popped up about 6:30 am (VERY rare for me!) feeling just as excited about life as I had the night before. I snuck off to the gym for about an hour and returned home in time to take my husband to work. I had some juice and a piece of cake from the night before and headed off to take the dog around the lake for a couple of miles.
Usually by the end of this walk we're both pretty worn out. Not today! As my dog's hips sank lower to the earth with each step I found myself bouncing right along like little miss sunshine! The only explanation I can think of is the power of raw food! I'm sure the fresh air and beautiful sunshine didn't hurt either.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: