May 4, 2008

Introduction

Hi I'm Rose, or if you prefer, "Rawzee" my raw food nic name. Along with my sister Erin "Erawn" I am starting this blog to chronicle our journey into raw foodism. We are on a quest for health, happiness, beautiful glowing skin and sky high energy. And hoping to find some killer "rawcipes" along the way.
By sheer coincidence, or divine guidance some might say, we both simultaneously began a full force dive back into raw foods recently. We have both dabbled with raw food several times over the last several years and were raised as granola kids, even adapting vegetarianism in our teenage years, but still that has not been enough. Through a mostly raw diet we are aiming to gain optimal health, longevity, immunity and peace! So far things are starting smoothly!
Tonight I juiced for the first time in months. I had some carrots and grapefruit I needed to use up. I couldn't believe how good fresh juice tasted and what a rush it brings! Personally it has the effect on me as some would gain drinking a shot of espresso. There is no crash at the end though!
I had all this lovely carrot pulp I couldn't bring myself to dispose of so I made a cake! I love whenever people ask "So what CAN you eat on a raw food diet?" and telling them cake and pie always brings a surprised/confused look to their faces.
I modified the following recipe from the sad to raw website (http://www.sadtoraw.com):

4 Cups of carrot pulp (from juicing)
1 Cup Walnuts
1 Cup fresh or desiccated coconut
Two thirds cup of dates
Half cup of raisons
Quarter cup of ground flax seed
Cinnamon & Nutmeg

Mix all the ingredients together and then pass the mixture through a juicer using a blank screen, The homogenised mixture can then be molded into shape by hand or in a cake tin.
Once this is done you are ready for the yummy topping.

A little fresh orange juice, a little grated orange rind, raw tahini and dates, blend all ingredients together to make a scrumptiously, delicious, whippy cream - decorate as desired.

- from Anastasia, Harmonious Living



I omitted the topping and since I didn't have dates or flax seed I substituted figs and sesame seeds. The result was incredible and beautiful with a dusting of elegant coconut on top. Let them eat cake all they want.....as long as it's RAW!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: